Monday, August 1, 2011

1980 Topps


Just getting back from a week of vacation, so this post is a little late. Back to the 80s, when collecting was in it's heyday and everyone thought that collecting baseball cards, or hoarding more like it, would lead to a world of riches beyond belief. I remember going into a Coins+ shop in Beechmont Mall in the late 80s and seeing the 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson rookie cards and being in awe at it's beauty...and price! $50 for a card back then for a teen was serious business and though I wanted that card badly, I settled for a 1974 Dave Winfield rookie instead for $10...what a steal at the time! Anyway, I digress. I love this set even though it does resemble the 1974 Topps set in many ways and you can't go wrong with Bench AND Seaver in this set for the Reds. I guess the only complaint I have about the 1980 Topps set was that I didn't care much for the blue backs since it made reading the stats a little difficult. But hey, nobody's perfect.

No comments: