Tuesday, August 9, 2011

1981 Topps


I know there are a lot of people out there that like the design of the 1981 Topps set, but I'm not one of them. The photos are ok, from the cards I've collected anyway, but the green border is less than desirable as is the Topps baseball that graces the front of each card. Yet, these complaints pale in comparison to my biggest gripe about the set...the large ball cap on the front of the card.I hate the fact that it's not just ugly, but it's hideous! Topps could have (and should have) done a better job with the design by using a replica of the team's actual hat instead of one that spells out the team name and the player's position. So much potential, but what could have been something with a "Wow" factor is nothing more than a "Ugh"! (Unlike the 1981 Reds season) I'm just happy they redeemed themselves with the 1982 design.

No comments: