Wednesday, August 24, 2011

1991 Topps


Were any of you like me when Topps announced in 1991 that they would be giving away cards the company had produced for the past 40 years by seeding them in packs of their latest product? I knew I had to buy boxes of this stuff hoping to get a Mays, an Aaron, or even a Mantle card. Needless to say, I didn't get anything except maybe about three complete sets from the boxes I busted open. But it sure was fun! I like this set. From the simple clean white border to the "40 years" logo on the front and back of the card. All in all, I think Topps did a great job with this set compared to Fleer, Donruss, and Score at the time (although they couldn't touch Upper Deck...but then again who could?) In addition, Topps sent some of these cards over to our troops in the Gulf during Desert Shield, although the only difference with those cards and the regular issue are the gold leaf Desert Shield logo that graces the front of the card. Not sure if I want to try and complete that team set or not. Anyway, I still think about going on eBay one weekend and buying a box just to bust and see who I get. Sure, there's a ton of it out there and it's not worth much. But isn't that what makes this hobby fun? Just opening a pack of cards and seeing what you got.

No comments: