Monday, July 22, 2013

1953 Topps

Last week I was FINALLY able to start making a dent in my 1953 Topps Cincinnati Reds team set. I have mixed feelings for the 1953 set when I compare it to the 1952 set. While the photos seem so much more alive with color than 1952, I'm a little disappointed that Topps placed the signatures on the back of the card, sort of as an afterthought, instead of having them front and center on the front. I do find comfort in the fact that every single Reds card in this set has settings from the ballpark in the background instead of just a plain background color that was on some Cincinnati cards in the 1952 set. I will say that this is one of the better designs of the 1950s that Topps put out, IMHO, compared to the 1954, 1955, and 1958 sets. Besides, you really can't go wrong with vintage cardboard now, can you.

No comments: