Monday, November 9, 2015

Just What I Always Wanted!

Call me crazy, but I'm starting a new project. This one leans more towards the side of nostalgia more than anything. I remember when I first got into the hobby back in the mid 80s the lure of the rookie card. Granted you still have prospectors out there today that snatch up bowman in hopes of turning a profit somewhere down the road. That idea never crossed my mind. For me, it was about owning an iconic rookie card from a hall of famer or a star that you knew would make it to Cooperstown one day. While I've made a sizable dent in my wantlist over the past few years, it's always bothered me that I never chose to pursue that. Last week while browsing sportlots I came across a group of rookie cards that I had always wanted at a price that was too good to refuse. So I bought them and hence the start of a new project...a rookie book. Now before this project gets out of control, I've decided to set some parameters for this: no card older than 1960 (the cards from the 50s and prior are just too expensive...sorry 1952 Topps Mantle), no card made after 1993 (I left the hobby in 1994 so I want to keep this as a strictly nostalgic project), only one rookie card of a particular player, and 40 cards total for this project. With that, here's the first four entries into my rookie book project:

1980 Topps Rickey Henderson


1983 Topps Wade Boggs


1985 Topps Mark McGwire


1986 Topps Traded Barry Bonds

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I've got a duplicate of Ryne Sandberg from 83 Topps - interested in a trade? could also check on the Barry Bonds cards from your 2002 wantlist, I may have one you need there as well.

LMK
-lifetimetopps.wordpress.com

Fuji said...

Cool project. I've been collecting 80's rookie cards these past few years, because they remind me of my childhood.